Monday, August 8, 2016

Does God hate your creativity?



Think about it. What's another name for God? Creator. So if you're creating, are you infringing on God's territory? Is creativity best left in His hands? Does He become jealous when you create? The Bible says:

You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

In Rollo May's book The Courage to Create he writes:

...creativity provokes the jealousy of the gods. This is why authentic creativity takes so much courage: an active battle with the gods is occurring.
Do you believe it?

I don't. Although I certainly think that it is a major challenge to be creative, I don't think in our struggle to create that God is against us. Quite the opposite, in fact, I think God helps us create. He leads us to people, books, opportunities that we would never be able to find on our own. And the timing of finding such things is usually perfect.

Not to be irreligious, but when you create, you are being God-like. Because again, God is the Creator, so when we create we're being like Him. And I think He enjoys watching our attempts and encourages us along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Being created in God's image, we are co-creators alongside Him as part of our design. The Genesis account of God creating the animals, and then seeing what Man would call them, seems like a perfect illustration of this. I think it's an observable truth that people are often happiest when involved in acts of creativity, at whatever level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. Interesting observation about being co-creators. And I couldn't agree more about being happiest when I'm creating. It doesn't matter what field. It doesn't matter what level. It doesn't matter if I'm paid or not. If I'm allowed to be creative I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by