Friday, April 26, 2013

A different kind of spirituality.

from the character Reverend Jim Ignatowski on the TV show "Taxi"

I meditated for hours on end. Chanted. I was finding God all over the place. He kept ditching me. You gotta understand, I thought I was on my way to Nirvana. All I ended up with was recurrent flashbacks of the original Mouseketeers.

     Come on. It is funny. And sometimes we just gotta laugh at how crazy spirituality can be. I used to compare it to playing the board game Monopoly.
     "Do not collect $200." "Go directly to jail." "Move back three squares." Like God was up there messing with us. I guess it still kind of seems that way sometimes. But when we keep it all in perspective I think we can lighten up about the whole thing. After all, God gave us (thank God!) a sense of humor and the ability to laugh at things. What's Seal's song. "No we're never gonna survive unless we are a little crazy."
     I'm not talking about humor at any cost. I don't think it's right when people say, "Well, I don't care about the content, as long as it makes me laugh." That attitude is so selfish and denigrates traits like reverence and dignity and sanctity. And you know what, it's easy to be funny making fun of the sacred. It is because people are so unused to hearing things like that talked about in a humorous vein.
    But I'm talking about good clean fun kind of humor. Like the quote from the show. We all need to laugh at ourselves now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by