Wednesday, February 20, 2013

When you get burned for doing the right thing.

     If you do something wrong and something bad happens, it's expected. No, you're not happy about it, but you're not surprised either. The trouble comes when you do the right thing and something bad happens. Or how about when you really do the right thing, you do things perfectly, and still something bad happens. That, my friends, is a very tough one.
     When it happens your first reaction is, 'That's not fair!' Or if you're like me, 'There is no God. There is no justice in this world.'

     It's hard not to react that way. Anybody who says it isn't is a liar. It's like put your hand over a flame. I want to see somebody react calmly to that. No, when the flame contacts your skin you rip your hand away. It's the same thing with this. Only with this, you rip your consciousness, your awareness away.
     Think about it, though, there is opportunity here. There is often opportunity in what causes us the most discomfort. Albert Einstein said: "In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
     Yes, right smack in the middle of that problem caused by doing the right thing is your opportunity. Your challenge is to take your rage, your sense of righteous indignation, and to find the opportunity in it.
     I don't know what it might be for you, but for me it's often a sense of entitlement. Like 'I did the right thing, now I DESERVE to have things go my way.' Looking at my reaction consciously and clearly, though, makes me realize that I may not have been living fully in reality. I may not have been completely aware that life sometimes goes against you even when you do the right thing.
     And often it's a sense of grandiosity. 'This shouldn't be happening to ME!' Not the great, colossal me!!
     There's a lot to be learned in extreme states. The next time you do the right thing and get burned don't automatically accept your reaction at face-value. Don't grab at the easy explanation of 'I'm right, the world's wrong.' Dig a little deeper for what your reaction's trying to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by